CANSKATE (recommended age 4 and up)
Open to skaters ages 4 and up, this is Skate Canada’s flagship learn-to-skate program. Lessons are 45 minutes in length. Skaters are grouped according to age and skating ability as they progress through a series of badges.
CanSkate is Skate Canada’s flagship learn-to-skate program, designed for beginners of all ages. When you sign up for CanSkate you will be in a program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. You will earn badges and other incentives as you learn fundamental skating skills. Lessons are given in a group format and led by an NCCP certified professional coach. Professional coaches are assisted by trained Program Assistants. The coach to student ratio is a maximum of 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, music and a wide variety of activities that create a fun environment and promote learning. CanSkate is the feeder program to all other Skate Canada Skating Programs.
Parents do not accompany their children on the ice.
Why sign up for CanSkate?
CanSkate is Canada’s only national learn-to-skate program. It was developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
When you/your child registers for a CanSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada, the national sport governing body for figure skating in Canada. Membership benefits in the CanSkate program can include:
- coloring sheets
- parent information sheets
- progress updates and report cards
- special CanSkate events and club functions
- CanSkater of the Year award program
- opportunity to be talent-scouted
- opportunity to participate in a positive healthy lifestyle activity
What can I expect during a typical CanSkate session?
Your child’s CanSkate session will include:
- Lesson time – new skill instruction, skill review and practice time
- Group activities
- Cool down
Report cards and earned badges are issued on the last day of the session. The six stage badges of the program are:
- Stage 1 – Balance
- Stage 2 – Glide Forward
- Stage 3 – Glide Backward
- Stage 4 – Edges
- Stage 5 – Power
- Stage 6 – Speed
Please have your child at the arena on time, dressed and ready to go on the ice at the scheduled session time
Please use the assigned dressing room. Signs are posted on the arena dressing room entries.
Needed: Skates, Helmet, warm clothing and mittens
For CanSkate, hockey or figure skates are acceptable
We recommend the following stores for purchasing skates:
9216-51 Ave 438-9059
10323-78 Ave 433-1181
Before purchasing skates check carefully for:
- Proper fit
- Firm ankle support
- Correct blade placement
- Staff at the above stores will help with the proper fitting of skates
- CSA approved hockey/skating helmets are MANDATORY
- Fit should be snug
- Clothing should provide warmth but not restrict movement
- Layering of sweat suits, sweaters, ski jackets and long underwear or leotards is recommended. Bulky snowsuits can hinder movement
- Warm mittens or gloves are a must (Please no fuzzy mittens as the fuzz gets stuck to our ice)