Due to Covid-19 there will be NO Pre-Can for the 2020/2021 Season
PRE-CANSKATE (recommended ages 3-4 years)
Open to preschool skaters aged 3-4 years with little to NO skating experience. Skaters are on the ice for 30 minutes at a time. Children are introduced to basic skating through action songs, games and play. Younger skaters may register for this program upon approval of the head coach.
Pre-CanSkate is geared toward children with little to no skating experience. Skaters are on the ice for 30 minutes at a time. Children are introduced to basic skating through action songs, games and play.
Children under the age of three will be accepted at the discretion of the program coordinator. Children need to be able to stand on their own in their skates (not on the ice).
Parents do not accompany their children on the ice.
Why sign up for CanSkate?
CanSkate is Canada’s only national learn-to-skate program. It was developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
When you/your child registers for a CanSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada, the national sport governing body for figure skating in Canada. Membership benefits in the CanSkate program can include:
- coloring sheets
- parent information sheets
- progress updates and report cards
- special CanSkate events and club functions
- CanSkater of the Year award program
- opportunity to be talent-scouted
- opportunity to participate in a positive healthy lifestyle activity
What can I expect during a typical CanSkate session?
Your child’s CanSkate session will include:
- Lesson time – new skill instruction, skill review and practice time
- Group activities
- Cool down
Report cards and earned badges are issued on the last day of the session. The six stage badges of the program are:
- Stage 1 – Balance
- Stage 2 – Glide Forward
- Stage 3 – Glide Backward
- Stage 4 – Edges
- Stage 5 – Power
- Stage 6 – Speed
- Please have your child at the arena on time, dressed and ready to go on the ice at the scheduled session time
- Please use the assigned dressing room. Signs are posted on the arena dressing room entries.
Needed: Skates, Helmet, warm clothing and mittens
For CanSkate, hockey or figure skates are acceptable
- We recommend the following stores for purchasing skates:
9216-51 Ave 438-9059
10323-78 Ave 433-1181
Before purchasing skates check carefully for:
- Proper fit
- Firm ankle support
- Correct blade placement
Staff at the above stores will help with the proper fitting of skates
- CSA approved hockey/skating helmets are MANDATORY
- Fit should be snug
- Clothing should provide warmth but not restrict movement
- Layering of sweat suits, sweaters, ski jackets and long underwear or leotards is recommended. Bulky snowsuits can hinder movement
- Warm mittens or gloves are a must (Please no fuzzy mittens as the fuzz gets stuck on the ice).